Questions You Might Be Afraid to Ask About Mold
Frequently Asked Mold Questions
Mold, mold spores, and mold growth are not something to take lightly. If you think that you have a problem with mold in your home, it is important to know what types of mold might be growing in your house and how to prevent the growth of these fungi. Here are some frequently asked questions about indoor molds:
What is mold?
Mold is a type of fungus that grows in damp areas. It can be found indoors and outdoors, but it's most common in basements, crawl spaces, and other parts of your home that are consistently damp. Mold spores exist almost everywhere—in the air we breathe, on surfaces we touch—but they need moisture to grow into colonies.
Mold growth is typically related to moisture problems such as leaky pipes or condensation from a humidifier or dehumidifier. These conditions allow mold spores to thrive wherever there is access to water.
Mold can also spread through dust particles carried by air currents throughout your home or workplace; this means you could have mold growing inside without realizing it until symptoms start showing up such as coughing fits when exposed for prolonged periods of time
How do I know if I have a mold problem?
Mold is a common problem in homes and businesses. It can be found anywhere there is moisture, including walls, floors, and carpets. Mold grows on surfaces where water has been trapped for several days or more. The most common sign of mold is a musty odor that lingers in the air despite ventilation efforts.
If you suspect you have a problem with mold or mildew in your home or office building, it's important to act quickly to prevent further damage. You may choose to clean up your own property without calling an expert first—but be sure to do so safely!
How can I prevent mold growth?
Here are some tips for preventing mold growth:
- Reduce moisture levels. Mold growth is an insidious threat, and you may be able to take steps to prevent it from happening. A key factor in mold growth is humidity. You can reduce the amount of available moisture by:
- Using a dehumidifier to remove excess moisture from the air in your home.
- Keeping windows closed when it rains or snows outside, and keeping them open only in cooler seasons when the weather allows for it (for example, closing them during winter but opening them during spring).
- Don’t use fans in bathrooms or other rooms where you sweat frequently, such as kitchens or laundry rooms (sweat-soaked clothing may also contribute to higher humidity levels).
- Not leaving dishes full of water on countertops overnight—instead wiping off any spills before bedtime each night!
What should I do if I find mold in my house?
If you find mold in your home, it's important to clean it up quickly.
Mold tends to grow on things like wood, fabric and paper products that are damp for long periods of time—basically anything that has been wet for more than 48 hours. These materials should be removed from the house as soon as possible and disposed of properly (i.e., not just tossed into a dumpster).
If there's visible mold on hard surfaces like walls or windowsills, use a household cleaner and scrub it away using a stiff brush or sponge until all signs of discoloration are gone; then dry thoroughly with a towel before allowing them back into contact with moisture again.
The best option for a large mold problem is to call the professionals at SERVPRO of NW Wichita. You will definitely need professional help if there's hidden mold behind walls or ceilings where you can't see what's going on.
Where should mold be tested?
Depending on where the mold is located, it's important to test for it there as well as in other areas of your home. Even if you don't see any visible signs of mold, it's still possible that some may exist somewhere else inside of your home and not just on the surface of something like floorboards or walls.
If you think you may have a problem with mold in your Wichita, KS home or business, call SERVPRO of NW Wichita. We have the training and expertise to safely remove mold and resolve the issue. Our technicians are certified by the Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) which is important because it means that they know how to properly clean up water damage from all kinds of messes, including those caused by flooding or fire damage.